Photo Contest Rules
The Rescue Success Photo Contest (RSPC) is administered by the Foothills Humane Society (FHS) and its equine division Foothills Equine Rescue Assistance (FERA), 989 Little Mountain Road, Columbus, NC, 28722. FHS is a 501(c)(3) no-kill shelter with the mission of rescuing, protecting, re-homing, reuniting, and educating. Entry fees from the contest will benefit FHS and FERA. The contest and prizes are made possible by the generous sponsorship of Burrell’s Fuels Inc/Diamond B Energies LLC.
BY ENTERING THIS PHOTO CONTEST, YOU AGREE TO THE FOLLOWING TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
1. WHO CAN ENTER: RSPC is open to all photographers, amateur or professional, who are at least 18 years of age, except RSPC judges, FHS and FERA paid staff, and board members. FHS and FERA volunteers are eligible. FHS and FERA reserve the right to verify, in its sole judgment, eligibility of entrants.
2. CONTEST ENTRY PERIOD: The RSPC opens at 12:01am on February 1, 2017 and the cut-off for receipt of photos is March 15, 2017, at 11:59pm.
3. HOW TO ENTER: Entrants can enter by mail, in-person, or online. Enter each photo only once in the RSPC using one of the following methods. There is no limit to the number of photos you can enter with a paid entry fee for each photo.
Mail photograph(s) with entry fee check payable to Foothills Humane Society. Mail to Foothills Humane Society, P.O. Box 126, Tryon, NC 28782. Entries and fee for each photograph submitted must be received on or before the cut-off date.
FHS/FERA is not responsible for undelivered mail or photographs received in damaged condition. Photos must be mailed flat and uncreased. Photographs unsuitable for publication due to damage may be disqualified at the sole discretion of the judges.
Deliver photographs in an envelope flat, uncreased, and undamaged to Foothills Humane Society, 989 Little Mountain Road, Columbus, NC 28722. Pay entry fee by check or credit card. Photographs unsuitable for publication due to damage may be disqualified at the sole discretion of the judges.
Upload photographs at https://foothillshumanesociety.org/. You do not need to upload all photos at one time but all information must be provided with each additional photo you enter. Follow entry instructions on the site. It is recommended to upload photograph(s) as soon as possible and not wait until last day since high volume may overload the system.
FHS/FERA is not responsible for upload failures.
4. PHOTO ENTRY INFORMATION: All entries online, by mail, or in-person must have complete LEGIBLE information:
- Name, address, phone number, and e-mail of photographer submitting the photograph(s)
- Contest category for each photograph
- Name of rescued animal
- Story of why, how and where rescued in 75 words or less
- Rescue organization involved, if any
- Name of owner and rescuer if different than photographer
Not providing requested information that is clearly readable may disqualify your entry by the judges.
5. CATEGORIES: Photographers must enter each image in one of the following three categories. Photographers may enter all images in a single category or select different categories for different photos. The same photo cannot be entered in more than one category. The same animal can be entered in different photos.
- Equine: Horse, pony, mule, or donkey alone or with the owner(s) or rescuer(s).
- Canine: Dog or puppy alone or with owner(s) or rescuer(s).
- Feline: Cat or kitten alone or with owner(s) or rescuer(s).
6. ENTRY FEE: $10 entry fee per photograph must accompany each photograph at time of submission. This fee will be used to provide care and shelter to the animals of the FHS and FERA. Promotion of the contest and prizes are made possible due to the generous sponsorship of Burrell’s Fuels Inc/Diamond B Energies LLC.
7. WHAT PHOTOS TO ENTER: Rescue successes are portraits or candid images of a cat, kitten, dog, puppy, horse, pony, mule, or donkey, with or without owner(s) or rescuer(s), that show the animal is healthy and loved. Photographs showing sick, undernourished, or otherwise maltreated animals, or animals in a threatening situation, will not be considered.
8. TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS: Only color photographs will be judged.
If mailed or delivered, minimum print size is 4 x 6 inches but larger prints, for purposes of reproduction quality in the magazine, are preferred, such as 5 x 7 inches or 8 x 10 inches. Vertical or horizontal format are accepted.
Digital images or scans of slides or prints must be uploaded as jpg files in RGB format. Photos must be at least 4 x 6 inches, vertical or horizontal, 240 dpi, OR 1,200 x 1,800 pixels, vertical or horizontal. Larger images are acceptable up to 10 megabytes and may improve your photo quality.
Photo composites (combination of two or more photos) will not be accepted. The use of artistic digital filters and effects such a watercolor, brush, neon glow, posterizing, stained glass, and others which do not show the scene as it would occur in nature will not be accepted.
9. JUDGING: Photographs will be judged on emotional impact, composition, artistic merit, and technical merit of color, contrast, clarity, and focus. Judges for initial screening of entries are Claire Sachse, Managing Editor, Life in Our Foothills magazine and Vince Verrecchio, FHS Board/Creative Director and Photographer. Final judging will be by Christine Taylor, FHS Executive Director, and Erik Olsen of Erik Olsen Photography, Tryon, NC.
Kevin Powell, General Manager of the Tryon Daily Bulletin, will select Best of Show.
FHS/FERA reserves the right to substitute judges if unforeseen circumstances make a judge unavailable at the time of judging.
10. PRIZES: thanks to the generous sponsorship of Burrell’s Fuels Inc/Diamond B Energies LLC.
- First Place in each category: Cash prize of $100 and featured in Life in Our Foothills magazine with photograph, name of photographer, owner, animal, rescue organization, and brief story of the rescue
- Second Place in each category: Cash prize of $50 and featured in Life in Our Foothills magazine with photograph, name of photographer, owner, animal, rescue organization, and shorter story of the rescue.
- Third place in each category: Cash prize of $25 and featured in Life in Our Foothills magazine with photograph, name of photographer, owner, animal, rescue organization, and shorter story of the rescue.
- Best of Show. Additional $100 for the one photo selected best of the three categories, plus an awards photo and announcement in the Tryon Daily Bulletin.
- At least one honorable mention in each category will be shown in Life in Our Foothills magazine with photo and name of photographer, owner, animal, and rescue organization. FHS/FERA reserves the right to show additional honorable depending on the total number of entries.
11. BINDING AGREEMENT: If entrant does not agree to the rules, terms, and conditions entrant is not eligible to participate in the RSPC and to win any prize.
12. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY: By entering the RSPC, you retain ownership and all other rights to the photographs, except as follows:
- You agree to allow your entered photograph(s) and entry information to be published as winner(s) or honorable mention(s) in Life in Our Foothills magazine and Tryon Daily Bulletin, and on the FHS/FERA websites and FaceBook pages, and in a possible video to be shown at the FHS Animal Fair and other venues to be determined.
- You grant to FHS and FERA the perpetual non-exclusive right to reproduce, distribute, display and create derivative works of your entry (with name credit) in connection with RSPC communications in any media now or hereafter.
13. CHOICE OF LAW: The RSPC is governed by the laws of the United States and is subject to applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. As an entrant, you agree that any and all disputes that cannot be resolved with FHS and FERA, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, before a court of competent jurisdiction. In any such dispute, entrant shall, under no circumstances, be entitled to claim punitive, incidental or consequential damages, or any other damages, including attorneys’ fees, other than entrant’s actual out-of-pocket expense associated with participating in the RSPC. Entrant hereby waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.
14. TAXES: All federal, state, and local taxes, fees and surcharges on prizes are the sole responsibility of the winners.
15. FORCE MAJEUR: If the RSPC is not capable of completion as planned, including, but not limited to computer virus, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of FHS and FERA that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the RSPC, FHS and FERA reserve the right, at their sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the RSPC.
16. WARRANTY: As an entrant, you warrant that your photograph(s) is original, does not infringe on any third party’s rights, and that you have permission from any third party appearing in the photograph. FHS reserves the right to disqualify any entry if it finds, in its sole discretion, that any of the foregoing warranties are not true. FHS decisions shall be final and binding.
17. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: In no event will FHS and FERA be responsible or liable for any damages or losses of any kind, including direct indirect, incidental, consequential or punitive damages arising out of entrant’s use of the FHS website, or the downloading or uploading and/or printing of material from said site. FHS is not responsible for lost, damaged, late or misdirected photographs, or for uploading connections, garbled transmissions, unauthorized intervention or technical malfunctions. Void where prohibited. FHS is not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, including but not limited to any misprints or typographical errors.