Foothills Humane Society provides intake to stray animals from Polk County, North Carolina and Gowensville, Campobello and Landrum, South Carolina. Upon intake of a stray animal, the animal is checked for a microchip and every effort is made to contact the owner listed with the microchip. Because FHS must undertake specific intake procedures and feed, water and house the animal until the owner retrieves it, FHS must charge a Return to Owner Fee. This fee is established below:
- Fee is waived if animal is retrieved by owner within 4 hours.
- $15 fee for animals remaining in the shelter for 4 hours or more.
- $25 fee after animal has been at the shelter overnight (2nd day).
- $35 fee after animal has been at the shelter for 2rd night (3rd day).
- $45 fee after animal has been at the shelter for 3rd night (4th day).
Upon 72-hour hold period in the shelter with no owner contact, State law provides that the animal becomes FHS property. At this point, the animal has been tested, vaccinated, etc. at FHS’ expense. If an owner retrieves their animal after the 72 hour hold period, the owner must pay regular FHS adoption fee.