Foothills Humane Society, a nonprofit organization established in 1982, is seeking an experienced Veterinary Technician. Located 30 miles south of Asheville NC, Foothills Humane Society cares for over 1,600 dogs and cats (as well as an occasional critter or farm animal) each year. Foothills Humane is an open admissions, no kill, shelter that collaborates with organizations in Polk County and surrounding communities and serves as the contract partner for Polk County Animal Control. Current services include lost and found, surrender support, adoptions, foster care, canine training, spay/neuter support, vaccine clinics and community outreach.
Reporting to Foothills Humane Society’s Healthcare Coordinator and working in collaboration with the healthcare, kennel, intake, adoption and foster staff and volunteers, the Veterinary Technician monitors health status of all Foothills Humane Society’s animals, provides medical care, recommends and follows individual health plans, ensures high standards of shelter healthcare, maintains current and accurate health records, and coordinates veterinary care provided by community veterinarians to shelter animals. The Veterinary Technician also handles some healthcare related administrative duties, including inventory of medical supplies and ordering.
This is a 30 – 40 hours per week position, working Sunday through Thursday with on-call and flexible scheduling required from time to time. Pay is $13.00-$16.00 with paid time off. The qualifications, experience and skills for this position include:
- Passion for the mission of FHS and the field of animal welfare.
- Formal Vet Tech education and/or training; certification highly preferred.
- Minimum 6 month’s experience as practicing Vet Tech; experience providing veterinary technician care in an animal shelter highly preferred.
- Capable and comfortable handling, lifting, and holding animals that can exceed 50 pounds.
- Knowledge of animal breeds, symptoms of common animal diseases.
- Rabies certified (if not currently certified, must be certified within three months of employment).
- Willing to be certified in humane euthanasia.
- Key characteristics include: a team player, ability to multi-task, excellent problem solving and communication skills, observant, proficient with data entry and electronic record keeping, and attentive to detail.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. and note “Vet Tech Applicant” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted through Friday, August 8, 2020. Resumes may also be mailed to Foothills Humane Society, attn.: Healthcare Coordinator, 989 Little Mountain Road, Columbus NC 28722; mailed applications must be received no later than August 8, 2020.